Displaying items by tag: Poland

Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei has vowed to work closely with Polish authorities in order to ensure it plays a key role in the buildout of its 5G networks.

Reports are claiming that Huawei executives will meet with officials from the Polish government in a bid to iron out any major security concerns that the country may have following the ongoing allegations that the Chinese vendor is a risk to national security.

Huawei also became embroiled in controversy last month, when one of its executives was arrested on suspicion of espionage.

Huawei’s senior standards manager in Europe, Georg Mayer, insisted that there has been no slowdown of sales of end-user equipment in Poland despite the negative press.

However, he acknowledged that if the negative press and scaremongering regarding Huawei’s security continues then it will eventually negatively impact business.

Huawei has reportedly offered to build a cybersecurity centre in Poland in another effort to show its commitment to addressing the security issues that have come to the fore in recent months.

In addition to this, Huawei’s head fiure in Poland, Tonny Bao, said the company was ready to establish a cyber security focused operation in the country “if authorities accept this as a trusted solution”.

The company has set up information security labs in Germany and the UK, designed to assure authorities its equipment is safe.

Published in Telecom Vendors

China defends Huawei over latest espionage accusations

Written on Wednesday, 16 January 2019 07:09

China has called upon other countries to cease the “groundless fabrications and unreasonable restrictions” against technology giant Huawei, after a Polish official said his country could limit the use of the company’s products by public entities following the arrest of Huawei employee Wang Weijing.

Poland is the latest country to express concerns over Huawei devices amidst security fears. Joachim Brudzinski, Poland’s internal affairs minister, has called for the European Union and NATO to work on a joint position over whether to exclude Huawei from their markets.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said the accusatory security threats “suppress and restrict Chinese technology companies’ development abroad”, and China hoped the Polish side would work to create mutual trust and maintain relations.

“We urge relevant parties to cease the groundless fabrications and unreasonable restrictions toward Huawei and other Chinese companies, and create a fair, good and just environment for mutual investment and normal cooperation by both sides’ companies,” Hua Chunying said.

“Using security reasons to hype, obstruct or restrict normal cooperation between companies in the end will only hurt one’s own interests.”

The Shenzhen-based equipment company has seen their equipment banned from Australia, New Zealand and Japan, and stripped from core telecom systems in the United Kingdom. Governments around the world have grown increasingly wary of Huawei’s presence in critical national telecoms infrastructure, amid cybersecurity fears and potential links to Beijing.

Pressure from the United States secret service to boycott Huawei equipment has led to a number of countries to exclude the phone giant in their rollout of 5G networks. In August, The Trump administration signed a bill that barred the U.S. government from using Huawei equipment and is reportedly considering an executive order that would also ban U.S. companies from using the Chinese products.

An executive for Huawei Meng Wanzhou was also arrested in December in Canada at the request of U.S authorities and awaits possible extradition to the U.S.  Huawei has always strenuously denied all accusations of espionage, and Hua Chunying maintained Wang Weijing’s alleged actions had “no relation to the company.”

Huawei has since sacked Wang after he was arrested along with a Polish security official on charges of spying for the Chinese government. In a statement, the company said the former employee had brought “disrepute” to the company.

Karol Okonski, a Polish government official responsible for cyber security said that “abrupt” policy changes toward Huawei were not warranted after the arrests, but that the use of the company’s products by state entities could be reviewed.

Published in Telecom Vendors

A state-run Chinese tabloid newspaper has written a strongly-worded editorial in which it has condemned the actions of Poland in the arrest of Huawei executive Wang Weijing in Warsaw.

Polish special agents arrested the executive for the Chinese telecommunications giant for alleged espionage after a lengthy investigation. Authorities claim that they believe he was spying for China.

Huawei moved swiftly in terms of responding to the latest controversy involving one of its employees by terminating the contract of Wang Weijing with immediate effect. However, the nationalist tabloid Global Times has been critical of the way Poland has handled the situation and has accused them of being an accomplice of the United States.

The newspaper wrote, “Beijing should resolutely negotiate with Warsaw and conduct relative counter-measures, helping the world understand that Poland is an accomplice of the US.”

The editorial added that if Huawei suffers further setbacks as a result of this arrest, which it more than likely will, then it will affect the confidence of Chinese society - and would represent an example to the rest of the world that it can bully Chinese enterprises. The paper has pleaded for China to remain strong and has called for Poland to suffer as a consequence of its actions.

The editorial said, “China must not be soft at this point. Beijing will not bully Warsaw -- and it is unworthy to do so -- but the latter must pay for the offense.”

The newspaper did not clarify as to what kind of measures China should take. China’s Foreign Ministry voiced its concerns about Wang's arrest in Poland, whilst as aforementioned above Huawei has sought to distance itself from the case as it fired the employee, saying his alleged actions have no relation to the company.

 A Polish man was also arrested for alleged espionage along with Wang on Tuesday.  Both men are suspected of having worked for Chinese services and to the detriment of Poland," according to Polish special services spokesman Stanislaw Zaryn.

Published in Telecom Vendors

Chinese telecommunications behemoth Huawei has moved swiftly to terminate the contract of an employee who has been arrested in Poland amidst claims he was spying for China.

Huawei executive Wang Weijing was detained by Polish authorities on Friday, following a lengthy investigation that was conducted by Poland’s special services. It is believed that Weijing is a director for the Polish branch of Huawei.

It’s the latest setback for Huawei’s brand globally following the high-profile arrest of the vendors’ CTO, Meng Wanzhou in Vancouver in December. She is fighting extradition to the US, where she stands accused of fraud relating to business activity in Iran.

The Chinese vendor robustly defended its CTO following her arrest and demanded her immediate release from jail. However, Huawei has wasted no timing in trying to distance itself from this latest scandal in Poland by announcing it has fired the employee in question for harming the company’s global reputation.

In a statement given to the Global Times, Huawei said that Wang Weijing was arrested for ‘personal reasons’ and said the incident caused significant damage to the company at a time when it’s under intense scrutiny regarding security.

Huawei cited management rules in company contracts and said it was left with no decision but to terminate its employer relationship with Wang Weijing immediately.  Poland has claimed that they firmly believe the Huawei executive was spying for China.

China’s Foreign Ministry responded quickly to the claims made by Polish authorities and expressed that it was ‘highly concerned’ by the arrest. The latest controversy is something Huawei really could’ve done without.

US President Donald Trump is expected to issue an executive order which would ban US companies from working with Chinese vendors ZTE and Huawei over the alleged risk both pose to national security.

In addition to this, Australia and Japan have blocked Huawei from participating in the construction of their super-fast 5G networks, whilst the UK and New Zealand are also considering banning the vendor from the rollout of its 5G networks.

EU spokeswoman Maja Kocijancic refused to "speculate" when asked Friday if there were any concerns about Chinese retaliation.

"We are aware of the reports and we will be indeed in touch with the Polish authorities for further information," she told reporters. 

Published in Telecom Vendors

Poland’s second largest mobile network operator has disclosed that it hopes to raise 5.2 billion zlotys ($1.4 billion) in an initial public offering (IPO) in Warsaw later this week. Play Communications formally made the announcement this week that will represent the biggest flotation of stock on the Warsaw Stock Exchange since 2011.

Play Communications which is co-owned by Greek fund Tollerton and Icelandic investor Novator plan on selling up to 121,572,621 existing shares which equates to 48.6% of the company’s total equity. It was further disclosed that the company will not issue new shares. In addition to this, Play revealed that a maximum price has been set at 44 zlotys per-share for retail and institutional investors, while some authorized employees will be allowed to buy the shares for up to 37.4 zlotys.

The network operator has stated that implied market capitalization which is based on the maximum price will be around 11.2 billion zlotys, whilst some analysts have predicted that it would make it to the WIG20 index, which comprises the twenty biggest and most liquid organizations in Warsaw, which is the capital city of Poland.

Play is a successful entity, and its main competitors are the Polish mobile network operating arms of Deutsche Telekom and France’s Orange. It has been reported that the company has appointed J.P Morgan and UBS Investment Bank as global coordinators for the floatation of the stock and as co-offering and book building co-managers. On Monday, institutional book building will commence with it expected to cease on July 13th when the final price will be formally disclosed. However, sources close to Play Communications say they expect the firm to debut on the Warsaw Stock Exchange on July 27th.

“Part of the IPO proceeds will be used to redeem 500 million euros bonds due in 2022 issued by Play's parent company. It also plans to pay a dividend of 650 million zlotys next year. With the IPO we have a very good platform to raise financing in the future if necessary," Play Chief Executive, Jorgen Bang-Jensen told a news conference.

Published in Telecom Operators

Swedish telecoms giant Ericsson deny allegations of bribery

Written on Wednesday, 23 November 2016 12:19

Swedish IT telecoms colossus Ericsson is being forced to deny that they paid out tens of millions of dollars in bribes during 1998-2001.

A number of former executives with Ericsson have sensationally claimed that Ericsson engaged in bribery across a wide range of locations including Malaysia and Poland during that three-year period – and in one alleged instance bribed politicians, senior civil servants and the president of Costa Rica to secure a massive state contract in telecoms.

According to reports in Swedish Newspaper Dagens Nyheter, a former executive named Liss-Olof Nenzell has handed the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) documents relating to the alleged kickbacks.

The newspaper wrote, "Enormous sums were sent via Zurich from the company headquarters in Sweden to secret recipients around the world," - referring to what it called Nenzell's central role in the scheme.

The publication also alleges that the biggest bribes included 1.4 billion kronor (140 million euros, $150 million), sent to bank accounts in Malaysia, and 763 million kronor sent to Poland, via the British offshore banking haven of Jersey.

Swedish public radio station, SR, further claimed that money was sent to politicians and senior civil servants to Costa Rica, including the then president, Miguel Angel Rodriguez, during a period when Ericsson was vying for a major state contract in telecoms.

SR also revealed it had testimony from "several former top executives," who speaking on condition of anonymity "recounted how they were guilty of active corruption in securing contracts in a large number of countries."

Allegations of systematised bribery against Ericsson are nothing new – and allegations of bribery against the company date back to 2010.

However, Ericsson has always vehemently denied and refuted those allegations of bribery made against them.

A spokesperson for the organisation told Dagens Nyheter, that it “never found any evidence that bribes were allegedly paid”

In June, Ericsson said it was being investigated, including in the US, over what the Swedish press said was a case of alleged corruption in China, and in Greece.

Ericsson issued a profit warning in October, and followed this with the announcement of a net loss of 233 million kronor in the third quarter as operators slowed investment in mobile networks.

Published in Telecom Vendors