Displaying items by tag: Legal Proceedings

Canada begins extradition of Huawei executive to the US

Written on Tuesday, 05 March 2019 11:15

Canada’s decision to begin extradition proceedings against Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou has sparked an angry backlash in Beijing.

The prominent Huawei executive who is also the daughter of the company’s founder Ren Zhengfei was arrested and detained in Vancouver in December for allegedly violating US trade sanctions with Iran.

Diplomatic tensions between Canada and China has deteriorated following the arrest of Wanzhou - and a number of Canadian diplomats were subsequently arrested in Beijing in what was seen as a retaliatory tactic in response to her arrest.

However, tensions have now escalated following the announcement by Canadian officials that it will begin extradition proceedings of Wanzhou to the United States. Beijing said Ottawa’s decision was tantamount to a ‘severe political incident’.

The Canadian government released a statement in which it stressed that after engaging in a thorough review decided to formally commence with the extradition process.

The statement read, “Today, Department of Justice Canada officials issued an Authority to Proceed, formally commencing an extradition process in the case of Ms. Meng Wanzhou. The decision was made after we had conducted a thorough and diligent review which found sufficient evidence to warrant putting the matter before a judge.”

At the conclusion of the process -- which could last months, or even years -- Canada's attorney general will have the final say on whether or not to hand Meng over.

Beijing on Saturday voiced its "strong dissatisfaction and firm opposition to Canada, which obstinately moves forward the so-called judicial extradition process."

Foreign ministry spokesman Lu Kang said in a statement the US and Canada were "abusing their bilateral extradition treaty to apply arbitrary coercive measures against Chinese citizens, in violation of their rights and legitimate interests".

Kang described the decision by the Canadian government as a severe political incident and said the arrest was part of a politically motivated campaign being led by the US to discredit Chinese technology leaders such as Huawei and ZTE in an effort to gain control in the ongoing trade dispute between the United States and Chinese officials.

Published in Telecom Vendors

Apple executive blasts Qualcomm during antitrust lawsuit trial

Written on Thursday, 17 January 2019 10:28

A prominent Apple executive has testified that Qualcomm refused to let the US technology behemoth use its chip technology in their latest line of iPhones due to an ongoing dispute between the two companies over licensing fees.

The admission was made by Apple COO Jeff Williams, during court proceedings in relation to an antitrust lawsuit filed by the US Federal Trade Commission.

Williams told the court that the global smartphone manufacturer expressed a desire to use both Qualcomm and Intel chips in its 2018 iPhones, but stated that Qualcomm withdrew support for Apple by refusing to sell them chips.

In addition to this, he disclosed that Apple has not been able to reach an agreement with the US chipmaker in relation to a new design since it filed a lawsuit in January 2017, which accused Qualcomm of using anticompetitive licensing tactics.

Williams also detailed the company’s fee negotiations with Qualcomm, noting Apple repeatedly traded exclusivity for a lower chip cost in order to keep the latter’s technology in its devices. Williams said, “We needed their chip supply, and we didn’t have a lot of options.”

Qualcomm has yet to mount its full defence in the litigation proceedings. However, it must be said that the claims made by Williams come in stark contrast to testimony provided by Qualcomm CEO Steve Mollenkopf last week.

Reuters published a report which claimed that the Qualcomm CEO declared that the chipmaker had sought an exclusivity arrangement not to shut out the competition, but instead to ensure it would recoup a $1 billion “incentive payment” made to Apple in 2011 in an effort to help cover technical transition costs incurred in switching chip suppliers from Infineon.

Williams’ statements were also contradicted by comments made by Qualcomm president Cristiano Amon during an earnings call in July 2018 noting the company would gladly be an Apple supplier again if the opportunity presents itself.

Mollenkopf also stressed that there was no reason the pair could not work together again noting that it makes sense that the technology leader in mobile should partner with the product leader.

Published in Devices