Displaying items by tag: expansion

Samsung takes the fight to Apple by opening new US stores

Written on Monday, 18 February 2019 12:53

South Korean conglomerate Samsung has unveiled its ambitious strategy to enhance its market share in the US by launching three new retails stores nationwide.

Samsung officially announced that it will open the new retail facilities as it gears up to launch an updated version of its flagship Galaxy handsets in the United States.

Some consumer experts are also claiming that the marketing strategy adopted by Samsung indicates clearly that the Seoul-based behemoth is directly challenging Apple in its domestic market.

Samsung said in a detailed statement that it made the move based on feedback from its customers.

The statement said, "They told us that they love having the ability to walk into a store and experience how the latest technology from Samsung works together to create a unique, immersive experience. Galaxy fans, in particular, mentioned that they were looking for a space to call their own, a place where they can get a feel for Samsung products first-hand."

It was further disclosed that the new stores will be located at the Americana at Brand mall in Los Angeles; Roosevelt Field in Garden City, New York; and The Galleria in Houston, Texas.

In addition to this, Samsung is holding a product launch in San Francisco amidst speculation it may launch a folding smartphone, which would make it the first of the major handset makers in the segment.

President of Samsung Electronics America, YH Eom, expressed his delight at the announcements and said the decision would solidify Samsung’s position as the world’s most popular smartphone manufacturer.

He said, “Our new Samsung Experience Stores are spaces to experience and see Samsung technology brought to life, to empower people to do what they never thought was possible before. We want to build a 'playground' for Samsung fans -- a place to learn about and try out all of the amazing new products we have to offer."

Samsung remained the number one global handset maker with a 20.8 percent share in 2018 despite an eight percent sales slump for the year, according to research firm IDC -- which also said last year showed the worst overall decline in sales for the smartphone sector.

Published in Devices

Google set to spend $13bn in US data centre expansion

Written on Sunday, 17 February 2019 12:32

US technology behemoth Google has announced that it will spend $13bn in expanding its US data centre network.

Published in Finance

Sparke, the International Services arm of the TIM Group and among the top ten global operators, announces the expansion of its South American backbone with a new Point of Presence in Cartagena, Colombia.

The new PoP responds to the fast growing demand for capacity services in Colombia, providing local and international network providers, ISPs, Content Players and OTTs with transport solutions up to 100 GB through Sparkle’s City2City service 

Thanks to the interconnection with the PCCS and SAm-1 cables, Sparkle will provide its customers with advanced connectivity solutions from Colombia and other Latin American countries up to the United States.

The combination of Sparkle’s terrestrial and submarine networks in the Americas, enriched by the new generation Seabras-1 cable, ensures complete redundancy and a top quality data experience.

In the next few months Sparkle will further expand its presence in Colombia, with the opening of a new PoP in Bogotá that will enhance the performance of Sparkle’s global Tier-1 IP transit service Seabone with lower latency and improved traffic routing capabilities.

The new PoPs in Cartagena and Bogotá confirm Sparkle’s positioning as one of the main providers in the Americas and as first Tier-1 backbone in Latam.

Published in Telecom Operators

An Estonian taxi startup company has announced its bold ambition to take on global ride-hailing colossus Uber in both London and Paris. Taxify announced that it will initially launch its services in London after it signed up 3,000 private hire taxi drivers following an intensive recruitment process which was needed to meet UK licensing and regulatory requirements.

Its expansion into the UK serves to indicate that Taxify is confident it can replicate the success it has enjoyed in other markets. The Estonian company have already benefited from the uncertainty and scandal that has plagued Uber in the last six months - by stealing a march on them in Eastern Europe and Africa.

London is a saturated market when it comes to taxi services. The English capital is home to the world-famous black cabs and private hire firm Addison Lee, who compete with other ride-hailing apps such as GETT and HAILO, which is now incorporated in Daimler’s MyTaxi.

Uber has a large slice of the market share in London, it boasts over 40,000 drivers and has 3 million London users, with the Silicon Valley based company claiming that users make over 1 million trips a week.

Taxify operates in 25 countries which is in stark contrast to that of Uber, who rollout its services in 600 cities across the world. However, its USP is that it allows passengers to pay marked-down fares which in turn lets drivers retain a bigger share of the profits, whilst it’s run on a much lower cost business model that Uber.

Taxify is directly targeting Uber’s customer base by offering a 15% commission on rides booked through the online platform. Uber charges between 20-25% in London. In addition to this, Taxify will accept cash as well as electronic payments unlike Uber.

The CEO and founder of the Estonian startup Markus Villig insisted its policy is that it will always be cheaper than Uber. Uber has just appointed a new CEO in order to bring much needed stability to the organization. It has endured a hugely difficult year, it has been embroiled in sexual harassment cases, legal disputes over the legality of the services it provides, and co-founder Travis Kalanick was forced to resign as CEO.

Uber’s new boss is former Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi and he has vowed to take the company public in the next few years, and said the company had to change in order for it to continue to expand. Taxify has enjoyed incredible success since its inception and will be confident it can penetrate the UK market.

It’s based in the Baltics and it first staked out in major cities all across Eastern and Central Europe, before expanding operations in Africa. Its CEO has declared that he believes they will overtake Uber by the end of this year. The taxi company has been boosted by investment from China’s rife-hailing firm Chuxing DiDi and aim to expand into Paris before the end of 2017.

Published in Apps

Mobile Klinik, Canada’s fastest growing professional smartphone and tablet repair chain, today announced completion of an acquisition of mobilFIX and Dr. Mobile smartphone repair businesses for an undisclosed amount. The chain has nine smartphone repair outlets, with seven established locations in the Edmonton area and two other stores opening soon, also in Alberta.

“This acquisition both accelerates our profitable growth and will anchor our growth strategy in Western Canada,” said Rob Bruce, Founding Partner and CEO, Mobile Klinik. “We are excited to work with the talented team at mobilFIX and Dr. Mobile to serve Albertans with while-you-wait, fully warrantied professional smartphone and tablet repair.

Sunil Goel, former CEO of mobilFIX and Dr. Mobile (www.mobilfix.ca) will take on a new national role at Mobile Klinik. He said: “Joining forces with Mobile Klinik gives us access to growth capital, experienced leadership, and an opportunity for our team to join the most professional smartphone repair company in Canada.”

mobilFIX and Dr. Mobile, established in 2013, operate two locations each in West Edmonton Mall. mobilFIX operates another three locations in the Edmonton area. All seven current locations will remain open to serve customers as they transition to the Mobile Klinik brand. The other two locations will open shortly as Mobile Klinik.

Mobile Klinik offers dedicated professional smartphone and tablet repair, most times in less than 60 minutes. Expert technicians offer immediate, on-site diagnosis and quote to repair a broken smartphone or tablet with premium quality parts and a lifetime warranty on parts and labour.

Mobile Klinik’s concept of while you wait professional smartphone repair was introduced to Canada by four Canadian wireless and retail industry leaders: Rob Bruce, former President, Rogers Communications; Ken Campbell, former CEO, WIND Mobile; and Alain Adam and Naaman Zorub, entrepreneurs who operate a number of wireless retail stores and other businesses in Ottawa and Gatineau. Since opening the first store in Ottawa in September 2015, and including today’s announced acquisition, Mobile Klinik operates 20 locations in major shopping malls and other high-traffic retail locations in Ontario, Quebec and Alberta. More locations will open soon.

Published in Devices

ZTE Corporation, a major international provider of telecommunications, enterprise and consumer technology solutions for the Mobile Internet, announced an agreement with Digicel Group to expand 4G LTE networks across its 26 markets in the Caribbean and Central America.

Digicel is deploying ZTE’s world-class 4G LTE solutions to deliver the highest-performance mobile broadband services to consumers and businesses across the region.

ZTE’s innovative 4G LTE solutions including Uni-RAN help Digicel upgrade and optimize its infrastructure as part of an ongoing network transformation program, providing subscribers with superior mobile internet connectivity and coverage. ZTE Uni-RAN solutions will support network evolution at Digicel by enabling deployment of next-generation digital services and business innovations.

Deployed by mobile carriers around the world, ZTEs Uni-RAN solution increases the network operation efficiency by prolonging the lifecycle of devices through network upgrades and smooth evolution. Based on ZTE’s SDR (Software Defined Radio) technology, Uni-RAN protects operator’s investment and dramatically reduces network costs and increases the stability and reliability of network operation.

Digicel recently announced its Digicel 2030 global transformation program, promising customers a completely new communications and entertainment experience made possible by a more agile, customer-centric application of resources and investment. 

Published in Telecom Vendors

Accenture plan to boost US workforce by creating 15,000 jobs

Written on Monday, 20 February 2017 10:04

Accenture have disclosed its plans to create an additional 15,000 jobs over the next three years in the US. The technology consulting and services company announced that it will increase its American workforce by 30%. In a statement issued by Accenture they outlined plans to create 15,000 ‘highly skilled new jobs’ which would subsequently increase its overall workforce in the US to more than 65,000 by the end of 2020.

Accenture further disclosed its plans to create 10 new ‘innovation hubs’ and confirmed it will invest $1.4 billion in training employees in order to have ‘leading-edge capabilities’ for doing their jobs. Accenture chief executive, Julie Sweet said the announcement represented a key moment for the company. She said: “Today marks a key moment for Accenture to help our clients play an even bigger part in the nation's growth and innovation agenda.”

Accenture has been a leader in the outsourcing business, and the Accenture boss says the new innovation hubs will be designed to help create the next wave of competitiveness. Sweet added: “That will involve helping companies figure out how to use new technologies in a process of “continuous innovation.” That kind of work "requires proximity to clients,” which is why Accenture is creating the regional centers.

Accenture are the latest in a series of major companies to announce investments or job creation in the United States. It is a trend that has followed the election of US president Donald Trump whose presidential campaign was centered on the theme of job creation. Trump vowed to bring back domestic manufacturing and jobs if he was elected president.

Published in Finance

Online social networking giants Twitter have created a new tab which is specifically aimed at making it easier for users to find interesting content while browsing on their social media platform. The move is just the latest in a long list of strategies management at Twitter in their attempts to find new users as they seek new ways to expand their business.

Twitter, which is headquartered in San Francisco, have added an ‘explore tab’ which will enable users to find and engage with interesting content easier. The feature will be added first on Twitter to Apple mobile devices – and it is expected to be added to Android smartphones in the coming weeks.

Project designer Angela Lam explained the benefits and thought process behind the ‘explore app’. Citing that it combines trends, moments, search and live video highlights in a single spot.

In a blog post, Lam said, “Until today, you had to go to a few different places to find each of these experiences. As part of our continued efforts to make it easier to see what's happening, we're bringing all these together."

The intentions behind the ‘explore app’ are to simply make it easier for users to find news, trending topics, and popular tweets - Twitter are striving to boost its rank of users and revenue.

It is set to report its earnings for the final quarter of 2016 later next month – Twitter reported a net loss of $103 million in September - they had losses amounting to $132 million in the previous year, while revenue grew by 8% to $616 million due to advertising.

The key metric of monthly active users rose only modestly to 317 million from 313 million in the prior quarter -- a growth pace that has prompted concerns over Twitter's ability to keep up in the fast-moving world of social media.

Analysts have been skeptical about Twitter's outlook for expansion, expressing concerns about its ability to entice users beyond its core base.

Published in Apps

Vodafone UK and O2 UK have engaged in negotiations on new terms in relation to an existing infrastructure sharing agreement between the two companies in an effort to curb and keep pace with the aggressive expansion by its rival BT.

The deal was first brokered in 2012 and was agreed ahead of the UK’s 4G roll-out campaign. It has been reported both are now renegotiating the terms of that 2012 deal via a joint-venture known as Cornerstone. Part of the deal enabled Telefonica-owned O2 responsibility for building and maintaining new masts in the east of the country and Vodafone in the west.

However, BT’s aggressive expansion through EE is now a grave concern for both companies, and the deal agreed between the two operators in 2012 is now proving to be a source of tension. It has been speculated that O2 has faced accusations of being too slow to maintain its side of the shared network, while Vodafone is keen to secure more autonomy in major cities to speed improvements to its own capacity and coverage.

Vodafone has already disclosed its plans to spend more than £2 billion in the next three years to improve both its domestic and network services. It is believed that the current deal brokered between Vodafone and O2 that the pair only have autonomy to improve their own networks in London, and Vodafone followed up with investments in the capital.

A revision of the terms with O2 could grant Vodafone more autonomy in key areas, while also securing more long-term certainty for Cornerstone itself. Following its failure to merge with CK Hutchison’s 3 UK, Telefonica’s plans for O2, and indeed its presence in the UK, have been somewhat up in the air.

Telefonica previously said it was considering floating the operator in 2017 in a bid to reduce its debt load. A more secure Cornerstone agreement could be key in discussions between Telefonica and potential institution investors.

Published in Telecom Operators

Google’s aspirations to extend the reach of its innovative drone delivery service has encountered a number of issues and plans to begin a wider launch of the product that have been put on hold. Google’s parent company Alphabet, a leading software company, has revealed its ambitious plan for a marketplace that could order anything from a coffee to toilet paper and have it within minutes.

The drone-delivery service was given the green light from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to begin testing the autonomous aerial vehicles in the United States. However, it has now been revealed from a former employee of Alphabet that the company has suffered a number of issues with the technology itself.

In September, the company successfully delivered its first burrito from Chipotle, to a student in Virginia Tech. In addition to that, Alphabet entered into partnerships with a number of companies such as Starbucks, Whole Foods Market and Domino’s Pizza to carry out a series of tests and trials as part of its Wing Marketplace strategy. However, it emerged that Starbucks exited the negotiations after disagreeing with Alphabet over access to customer data.

Last month, Domino’s Pizza made its first delivery by drone in New Zealand and it plans to expand the service to a bigger area in the forthcoming months. Domino’s boss, Don Meij says the aerial technique could catch on as it beats traffic and cuts waiting time.

“DRU Drone by Flirtey offers the promise of safer, faster deliveries to an expanded delivery area, meaning more customers can expect to receive a freshly-made order within our ultimate target of 10 minutes. They can avoid traffic congestion and traffic lights, and safely reduce the delivery time and distance by travelling directly to customers’ homes. This is the future. Our customers are excited about the possibility of drone deliveries and we are thrilled to be working with local families as we test and expand this technology.”

An article which circulated in the Wall Street Journal reported that Alphabet’s ‘X’ division could experience more turbulence in the coming months following the admission made by a former employee of the firm. The anonymous source made the claim that it was Alphabet’s goal to complete 1,000 flights without incident, but it never made it past 300.

Some of the reasons cited as to what the problems were ranged from repeated power failures, multiple crashes, wandering off course, or attempting to land in trees. Alphabet’s X division is a moon-shot project, so technical issues are expected throughout the process. With the former employee summing it up by saying: “Alphabet is a software company, not an airplane company.”

Published in Gadget
Page 1 of 2