Displaying items by tag: Anger
A state-run Chinese tabloid newspaper has written a strongly-worded editorial in which it has condemned the actions of Poland in the arrest of Huawei executive Wang Weijing in Warsaw.
Polish special agents arrested the executive for the Chinese telecommunications giant for alleged espionage after a lengthy investigation. Authorities claim that they believe he was spying for China.
Huawei moved swiftly in terms of responding to the latest controversy involving one of its employees by terminating the contract of Wang Weijing with immediate effect. However, the nationalist tabloid Global Times has been critical of the way Poland has handled the situation and has accused them of being an accomplice of the United States.
The newspaper wrote, “Beijing should resolutely negotiate with Warsaw and conduct relative counter-measures, helping the world understand that Poland is an accomplice of the US.”
The editorial added that if Huawei suffers further setbacks as a result of this arrest, which it more than likely will, then it will affect the confidence of Chinese society - and would represent an example to the rest of the world that it can bully Chinese enterprises. The paper has pleaded for China to remain strong and has called for Poland to suffer as a consequence of its actions.
The editorial said, “China must not be soft at this point. Beijing will not bully Warsaw -- and it is unworthy to do so -- but the latter must pay for the offense.”
The newspaper did not clarify as to what kind of measures China should take. China’s Foreign Ministry voiced its concerns about Wang's arrest in Poland, whilst as aforementioned above Huawei has sought to distance itself from the case as it fired the employee, saying his alleged actions have no relation to the company.
A Polish man was also arrested for alleged espionage along with Wang on Tuesday. Both men are suspected of having worked for Chinese services and to the detriment of Poland," according to Polish special services spokesman Stanislaw Zaryn.
Chinese media outlets have launched a scathing attack on the United States for its role in the arrest and subsequent detainment of Huawei’s CFO in Vancouver earlier this week.
The Japanese government has announced that it will ban telecommunications equipment manufactured by Chinese vendors Huawei and ZTE amidst fears about cybersecurity.
The CFO at Chinese telecommunications behemoth Huawei has been arrested and detained in Canada, in a move that has been met with vehement criticism amongst authorities in Beijing, who have called for her immediate release.
European mobile operators have blasted the decision by the EU to place a price cap on intra-EU phone calls. The decision has been hailed by MEPs as a victory for Brussels, but critics of the decision have labelled it a populist stunt and a political smokescreen.
European operators said the decision was being used to deflect attention away from the failure by politicians in Brussels to agree on far more critical measures that are required to be implemented in order to facilitate the much-needed investment for 5G and other high-tech innovations.
Telecoms lobbying group ETNO said the European Commission had missed a ‘once in a decade’ opportunity. In a statement released to the press, ETNO said, “The main aim of the original proposal by the European Commission was to significantly improve the investment climate for rolling out new networks and to empower users of all communication service. This ‘once in a decade’ opportunity has been missed.”
This latest decision by the EC comes just twelve months after the ‘free roaming’ revolution which allowed Europeans to be charged the same amount to call, text, or use the internet when travelling in other EU nations as they would be at home.
In the latest measure, it has been disclosed that mobile or fixed-line phone calls from an EU home country to another bloc member will now be capped at 19 euro cents ($0.22) per minute and six cents per text message.
MEP, Pilar Del Castillo, who negotiated on behalf of the European Parliament, expressed his delight that the decision to put a price cap on calls was rubberstamped - and said companies should not be allowed to charge excessive fees to users when making calls to other EU member states.
He said, “We agree that companies cannot charge excessive fees to users when they call or send an SMS from their home country via mobiles or landlines to another EU Member State. The cap came after 12 hours of talks between the EU Bulgarian Presidency, the European Commission and the European Parliament and will now need signing off by the bloc's 28 member states.
But the limit, which was part of a wide-ranging telecoms package, comes as an increasing share of inter-EU communication takes place via mobile apps such as WhatsApp, iMessage or Skype.
Uber’s new CEO has jetted into London for negotiations with the city’s transport regulator following the TFL’s (Transport for London) decision to suspend the license of the global ride-hailing service. The TFL deemed Uber unfit to run a taxi service and refused to renew its license.
The decision by the TFL left Uber reeling, as the UK, and in particular London is a massive market for the US firm. It was the latest setback in a long line of controversies and blows endured by Uber who have in recent months had allegations of sexual harassment within its work environment labelled at them.
In addition to this, Uber has faced countless legal battles in different markets all over the world – and pressure from stakeholders forced former CEO and founder Travis Kalanick to resign. TFL stated that it didn’t renew Uber’s license due to the firm’s approach to reporting serious criminal offences – and also highlighted safety issues in relation to Uber’s vetting process on its drivers.
London’s Mayor Sadiq Khan, who is also chairman of the TFL, told Uber that it would serve the organization better to actually attempt to address the concerns raised by the transport regulator, instead of hiring a team of PR experts and lawyers.
However, it has emerged that Uber’s new CEO, former Expedia boss Dara Khosrowshahi has arranged a face-to-face meeting with TFL commissioner Mike Brown who is tasked with the responsibility of running TFL’s day-to-day operations. It was further disclosed that Khan, a member of the Labor Party had sanctioned the meeting.
While Uber’s license was suspended with immediate effect on September 30th, its 40,000 drivers can still pick up fares until an appeal process has been exhausted, and that is likely to take up to several months.
Uber’s CEO facing a tough task to restore order to a firm which has been battered by a host of controversies, and his job hasn’t been helped by the calling of a board meeting in San Francisco which will look at curbing the influence of former CEO Kalanick.
Many expect Uber to resolve the issue with the TFL and claimed that Khosrowshahi made a good start by penning an open letter to Londoners in which he acknowledged that the company had made mistakes, before vowing to adopt a new approach to penetrate new markets globally.
It has been reported that Uber will learn its fate when a judge will rule on its appeal when it is officially submitted on October 13th. Uber’s competitors have wasted no time in attempting to gain its business. London’s second-biggest private hire firm Addison Lee said on Friday it was planning to increase its driver numbers in London by up to a quarter.
Mexico’s leading telecommunications operator has expressed its anger at rules introduced by the country’s telecommunication regulatory authority. America Movil, which is the world’s fourth largest mobile operators in terms of mobile equity subscribers, and is spearheaded by Mexican billionaire Carlos Slim.
However, Slim has vehemently voiced his opposition to the changes in regulatory policy which he believes are unfair towards his organization, and that it has subsequently led to a loss of its business rights. It’s the last chapter in what has been a complicated process in terms of reshaping the telecommunications industry in Mexico.
Reports are suggesting that the Supreme Court are considering whether to undo parts of an overhaul that blatantly tilted the playing field against the dominant force in Mexican telecommunications which is America Movil. The regulatory changes has led to a steep drop in prices in what Mexican citizens pay for cell phone services and internet access, which has rather inevitably been welcomed by Mexicans.
Legal representation for Slim have described the rule changes as ‘asymmetrical’ and ‘unfair’ which prohibit American Movil from charging other carriers for connecting their calls made to customers on their network, but let those same companies charge America Movil for connecting its calls to their customers.
In a statement released to the press, American Movil described this practice which has been applied to America Movil as the ‘zero-tariff’ - and has undermined the power of the sector’s regulator IFT as well as the rights of America Movil units Telmex and Telcel under past concessions awarded to them by the government.
In addition to this, the Mexican operator claims that it has been harmed by the loss of its rights to cost recovery, economic stability, and financial balance granted by the concessions. "Asymmetrical (rules) does not mean free," the company said in the statement.
Figures released from the telco sector in Mexico indicate that America Movil holds over two-thirds of the country’s mobile subscriptions. However, political commentators have described the landmark telecommunications reform as a huge political victory for Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto. The Supreme Court has not disclosed when it might rule on the case.
A number of Silicon Valley leaders have blasted the decision by new US president Donald Trump to impose a temporary ban on refugees and Muslims from entering the United States. The tech leaders are concerned that such a drastic stance on immigration will prevent them from accessing a large global reservoir of talent to work for their organizations.
In addition to this, the companies are also concerned in relation to the impact the strict measures will have on its existing workforce.
Apple, founded by Steve Jobs, the son of a Syrian immigrant, condemned the legislation adopted by Trump. Current Apple CEO Tim Cook said his company wouldn’t have been able to thrive without the impact of immigration.
Cook said, Apple would not exist without immigration, let alone thrive and innovate the way we do.”
Netflix CEO Reed Hastings called Trump’s stance as ‘so un-American’ and that his actions are severely hurting his employees all over the world. In a post he posted via his Facebook account he said, “The presidents first week in office is ‘very sad’ his actions are hurting Netflix employees around the world, and are so un-American it pains us all. It is time to link arms together to protect American values of freedom and opportunity."
Google issued a press statement in which CEO Sundar Pichai outlined that almost Google 200 employees have been impacted by the draconian measures on immigration by the president.
He said, “We're concerned about the impact of this order and any proposals that could impose restrictions on Googlers and their families, or that could create barriers to bringing great talent to the US.”
For those unfamiliar with the executive order signed on Friday: It basically suspends the arrival of refugees for at least 120 days, and for the next three months has blocked visa applications from seven Muslim majority countries such as Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
Microsoft’s CEO rowed into the debate, the head of the global giant Satya Nadella, who is of Indian descent stated that the immigration restrictions put in place would impact negatively on its ability to fill research and development positions. Microsoft’s leader said, "As an immigrant and as a CEO, I've both experienced and seen the positive impact that immigration has on our company, for the country, for the world.”
Globalization has been a boon for Silicon Valley, which employs a significant population of foreign engineers. Some 250,000 Muslims live in the San Francisco Bay Area, according to the Council on American-Islamic Relations.
Uber CEO Travis Kalanick vowed to raise the issue at a meeting next week of Trump's business advisory council, which the executive is a part of.
Police in Thailand have apprehended and arrested nine people on suspicion of hacking a number of government websites in recent days, which caused huge disruption to some services. It is believed that the hacking was conducted in response to a controversial cyber censorship law which was passed by government figures earlier this month.
The new cybersecurity law allows moderators to more easily remove web content it disapproves of. The new law will prohibit people from accessing or uploading anything deemed ‘in breach of good morality’ and enables a new committee to effectively remove websites.
There has been an angry response to the new legislation, with many Thai residents feeling the act of censorship is an attack on democracy and free expression. In protest, hackers targeted several government websites which caused widespread disruption over the last number of days. Some have been temporarily disabled by so-called denial of service attacks – which is a type of assault that overwhelms a website using networks of computers.
Some hackers have claimed that the infiltration of government databases have provided them with a lot of sensitive information. There had been reports that the military had made arrests in response to the hacking – but official confirmation was only disclosed on Monday.
Thailand’s Deputy Prime Minister, Prawit Wongsuwan said: “We have arrested some hackers, there were about nine people and we will continue arresting them. The suspect confessed that he faked an identity and accessed the system (of) the royal police office.”
In the last number of years, since military generals gained power, incidents of national security offences have been handled by the Thai military. However, it was police in Bangkok who paraded the 19 year-old hacking suspect who was subject to interrogation for an undisclosed period of time.
Rights groups and cyber activists have vowed to challenge the new law in the courts. Thailand already has a string of laws that opponents say curbs debate, including a draconian lese majeste offence outlawing criticism of the monarchy and sweeping legislation on criminal defamation.
The new cyber law is itself an update of the 2007 Computer Crimes Act which was initially drawn up to target criminals using the web for scams, but later morphed into a tool to pursue critics. Many of those charged with royal defamation in recent years have found themselves simultaneously hit with computer crime charges. Thailand's junta have largely curbed public dissent by banning political gatherings and arresting those who demonstrate.
As a result the internet remains one of the few areas where discussion can take place, but often at great risk. Royal defamation, sedition and computer crime cases have skyrocketed under military rule, often for comments made on social media. Critics say the new cyber law will also do little to further the junta's stated aim of turning the kingdom into a regional digital hub.